The current pilot study investigates the effects following removal of excessive gingival tissue, which is often necessary in fixed prosthodontic cases. The aim of the study is to assess gingival healing after diode laser gingivectomy prior to prosthetic procedures. Materials and methods: The healing process of the gingiva after the diode laser gingivectomy of 41 teeth was assessed. The following parameters were examined: recovery time of the gingiva, possibility to take the impression at the same visit, duration of the manipulation, bleeding during the procedure, tissue adherence to the instrument, postoperative hemorrhage on probing, postoperative pain, and wound healing in regard to tissue color, tissue contour, and appearance of the wound. Results: At the 24th hour, all gingival wounds were covered with fibrinous plaque and an erythematous halo. At the 72nd hour, in two cases (4.9%), this wound’s characteristic had already passed through to the next healing stage—granulated surface and normal pale pink color. A granulated surface in the 1st week was reported in 10 (24.4%) cases, and in all of the other 31 (75.6%) cases, complete healing was reported. In the second week, all wound surfaces had a normal pale pink color. Bleeding was self-limiting in most of the cases and negligible from a clinical point of view. The postoperative pain levels were low or nonexistent. There was lack of postoperative hemorrhage on probing after the first week in all examined cases. Tissue recovery in terms of tissue contour, color, and appearance of the wound was asymptomatic. Conclusion: within the limitations of this pilot study, the outcomes of the wound healing after laser gingivectomy aided the clinicians to perform the prosthetic procedures in the same visit

Assessment of Healing after Diode Laser Gingivectomy Prior to Prosthetic Procedures

Massimo Corsalini;Daniela Di Venere;Giuseppe Barile;Saverio Capodiferro
2023-01-01

Abstract

The current pilot study investigates the effects following removal of excessive gingival tissue, which is often necessary in fixed prosthodontic cases. The aim of the study is to assess gingival healing after diode laser gingivectomy prior to prosthetic procedures. Materials and methods: The healing process of the gingiva after the diode laser gingivectomy of 41 teeth was assessed. The following parameters were examined: recovery time of the gingiva, possibility to take the impression at the same visit, duration of the manipulation, bleeding during the procedure, tissue adherence to the instrument, postoperative hemorrhage on probing, postoperative pain, and wound healing in regard to tissue color, tissue contour, and appearance of the wound. Results: At the 24th hour, all gingival wounds were covered with fibrinous plaque and an erythematous halo. At the 72nd hour, in two cases (4.9%), this wound’s characteristic had already passed through to the next healing stage—granulated surface and normal pale pink color. A granulated surface in the 1st week was reported in 10 (24.4%) cases, and in all of the other 31 (75.6%) cases, complete healing was reported. In the second week, all wound surfaces had a normal pale pink color. Bleeding was self-limiting in most of the cases and negligible from a clinical point of view. The postoperative pain levels were low or nonexistent. There was lack of postoperative hemorrhage on probing after the first week in all examined cases. Tissue recovery in terms of tissue contour, color, and appearance of the wound was asymptomatic. Conclusion: within the limitations of this pilot study, the outcomes of the wound healing after laser gingivectomy aided the clinicians to perform the prosthetic procedures in the same visit
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11586/431502
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 3
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 3
social impact